Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Memories and tributes from Andy's friends

Andy Collier: photo by John Offord, etnow.com


Here are extracts from some of the emails  I have received following the early death of Andy Collier on 12th July.






RICHARD PILBROW
"I have to say that I was shattered. Andy was such a truly exceptional person. Seemingly always optimistic and positive and really a beacon for everybody around him. I was so pleased that he was able to make my birthday party last month in London.

And I suppose that reminds me what a terrible event it was. Andy was so young and full of life. He was always such a pleasure to meet and talk with. His encyclopedic knowledge and dedication toward lighting will be long missed. What a shock."

Richard Pilbrow
Founder & Chairman Emeritus
Theatre Projects Consultants



RICHARD BRETT 


We are all truly sorry and deeply saddened by Andy’s death last week.  Totally unexpected and shocking that it could happen to such a nice guy.  As you know Andy worked for us in Theatreplan and also for me with the Theatre Engineering and Architecture Conferences and he will also be sorely missed as a person – always helpful, cheering and prepared to go the whole way.


Richard Brett BSc CEng FIET FABTT
Partner, for and on behalf of
Theatreplan LLP



ROGER FOX
I cannot tell you  how sad I am to hear of Andy’s death.  A huge shock for all his friends and colleagues.

Kind regards

Roger


MARK JONATHAN

 It's devastating news and I'm very sad indeed. What a wonderful man he was. 

In sadness,
Marko



 FRANCIS REID

I just can’t get my head around the idea of a world without Andy. I was exchanging e-mails with him throughout his last week ... right up until the fatal Friday when he sent me an e-mail just before he got on the tube. The world desperately needs more Andys.

Sadly - Francis


MIKE WOOD

t's been hard to know what to say about Andy. The loss is just devastating. As many others have already said, Andy was always the jolliest, friendliest, most enthusiastic person you could hope to meet. Always a pleasure to be with him. I've known him since the Strand days in the 1970's and it's hard to think that I won't be greeted by his beaming smile at PLASA this year.

Mike 
Mike Wood Consulting LLC


STEVE NORMAN
On Friday at 9:30AM my time, which is 2:30PM your time, I’m going to go somewhere quiet and remember Andy. But I’ve been doing that constantly since his sudden death. I have been talking to several friends here in the states after the news, and we have all been remembering the great times we had working with Andy (and you) here – in NYC, LA, Vegas, Florida and beyond.  Everyone has so many special memories, and we will all miss Andy.

Best,
Steve




PETER WILLIS

I've still memories - but sadly no photos I don't think - of the very spartan office that was the early days of Teatro; of a "day" trip to the Leaning Tower of Pisa from Lake Garda, and of Bens' very first skiing lessons with Andy and Margaret somewhere near Innsbruck (?) one Christmas.  And of lighting Barnes and Richmond Operatic Society (BROS) productions at Richmond Theatre and York House in Twickenham, or just popping in to Grosvenor Gardens for coffee and a chat.

And of course during the heady days of Strand's initial takeover/decimation by Marvin Altman in the late 1980's when the R&D and Specials department were closed, Andy was always there as a friend and sounding board for ideas on how to survive. Andy was always there as a friend and mentor, and always made you feel welcome. Nothing was ever too much trouble for him.

Peter


RICHARD FARTHING

I saw Andy just a couple of months ago, he walked over here from Barnes, we had a couple of pints at my local, then a good curry around the corner. I had been thinking of contacting Andy this week for another local drink. How sad, he is deeply missed.

best regards
Richard


RUSSELL DUNSIRE
It was good to speak with you though the circumstances are not. In hearing the devastating news on Saturday ... my thoughts were naturally of you as well as Andy’s family  given that you and he had such a long and close working relationship.

Kind Regards

Russell

Russell Dunsire
Managing Director
LSI Projects Ltd


ALAN LUXFORD
I have fond memories of Andy when he first started in 1974 as he was in specials and I gave him a lot of work. We also did a European sales tour together where we lost the brakes of the van going down a mountain in Switzerland. We survived just.


Best Alan


ANNE VALENTINO

Good to hear from you - although I am sorry it is with such sad news.  I just saw Andy last month at ABTT.... such a shock.   And I had already heard about this via Facebook.   

a


RICHARD BUNTING

Some of the happiest times I’ve had in my career was with you, Andy, Ed, etc in the all too short marketing heyday at Strand. He was one of the true gentlemen of our business, who knew everyone, and was liked by all those who met him. I, like so many who have responded, are stunned by what has happened, and will miss him an awful lot.


Best Regards,

Richard Bunting


ANNE MINORS

At sometime in the mid - late 1980's, when we were both learning the ropes at TPC, David Taylor introduced me to Andy as 'a really good, helpful and imaginative lighting representative as well as a really nice person.' In the intervening 25 years I have been continually reminded of that definition whatever the role that Andy undertook to support the theatre industry. With David and now Andy's untimely death, it feels as though a generation is disappearing too young, but not before making a lifetime's contribution to the theatre world.


With sympathy
Anne Minors








CLIVE CARTEY
May I say how deeply I appreciated you taking the time amidst your own grief to talk to me this morning. I sincerely offer you my help and support with Technical Marketing Ltd in this very difficult time.

Kind regards
Clive

SILVIO CIBIEN
What  sad news! At 13.01 on Friday Andy sent us the picture of his beautiful day out at Goodwood ... at least a nice last day ...

With my best regards
Silvio Cibien
 ANIMA Lighting Ltd


GARETH FRY
So sorry to hear about this. My consolations to you and his family. 
Kind regards,

Gareth Fry
Sound Designer 


KEN BENNETT-HUNTER

My deepest sympathy to you and to his family.

With very best wishes,

Ken


MARK HARRISON

A terrible shock. I'm still struggling to come to terms with it all.

Best


Mark.
Huge Design



JOHN HASTIE

That is very sad news indeed – someone I’ve known for as long as I’ve been in the industry.

John


JOHN OFFORD
 I'm working on getting together a double page spread possibly entitled "Remembering Andy Collier" for the August issue of the magazine, using as many pictures as I can find from the ET archive - most of them with a smile on his face. What do you think? 

In  much sadness - it will take some time to sink in properly. 

All best 
John 




KARI SEWELL

We're terribly sorry to hear this tragic news. Andy has been a pleasure to work with and will be sorely missed. 

Our sincere condolences. 

Kari Sewell
Managing Director
Realnet Ltd


KEN SEWELL
It's dreadful news.  He was a lovely fellow. 

All the best 
Ken 


JULIE HARPER
 I was very sorry to hear the sad news about Andy. and feel very much for his family and for you his friend. It must be very difficult. Andy was such a great person and the shock must be very hard - it just doesn't seem possible, or right.
.

With my best regards,

Julie.

Julie Harper 
PR & Marketing Consultant

ANDREW DIXON - STLD
Very many thanks in sadness to have lost such a great person and friend.














No comments: