Thursday, March 13, 2014

email - is it still a killer application?

Email, one of the earliest killer applications on the Internet is still going strong.

I have set up Mail to use colour coding to identify emails from clients because they are very important. The junk filter does a pretty good job on the rest, but then there are plenty of other legitimate emails that contain useful information, perhaps because I  have subscribed or from publications I  deal with and friends which are worth a quick look each day to keep informed.

But suddenly I  have a new best friend called David Cameron who tells me he is the Prime Minister and as a small business owner I  should be jolly grateful for the work he has already achieved and would I  mind sharing a graphic he has knocked up on Facebook and Twitter and then signs off with the suggestion that £10 to party funds would be appropriate. What Dave actually says is "Back our campaign for a referendum by donating £10 today." So hold on a moment. He is Prime Minister so if he really wanted to hold a referendum he has the power to do it now. Why does he need a campaign and who is he lobbying anyway? Nigel who may want a referendum on leaving Europe, or better still just leaving anyway would be the bloke doing the lobbying I would have thought, but somehow I can't quite see Nigel Farage being so blatant as to ask for money in an email.

Suppose we said to one of our clients - "Here's a great idea. Why not email all your clients, tell them you have great idea for a new product and would they mind sending a tenner to fund the R&D." No?

On the other hand purely as an experiment, if you have read this far you could send me £10 instead.

No comments: